Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Consolidated Portfolio Yields

Questions on using, creating, or understanding data in Fund Manager graphs.

Postby portaferry » Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:33 pm

I have a family portfolio which is really just viewed as one interest but for convenience sake there are 3 portfolios reflecting that investments are in 3 family members.

When I display a portfolio graph for each member I get yields displayed for that particular portfolio which is as expected. When I display the portfolio graph for the consolidated or grouped portfolio - that is the three portfolio's combined the yields show NA.

I am sure, but perhaps mistaken, that in the past I had this graph showing consolidated yields.
Is there a way to achieve this or this behavior is the expected behavior.

Mant thanks for any feedback. Been meaning to ask about this for ages, and just got around to it.

Gary Wilson
portaferry

Postby Mark » Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:16 am

Hi Gary,

Do the yields display if you turn on "View / Exchange Rate Adjusted"?

For the graph that is showing N/A for the yields, look at "Help / Logs / Graph Calculation..." for an explanation of any N/A yields.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby portaferry » Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:05 pm

Mark thank you for that feedback.

I generally have view exchange rate adjusted permanently on. I toggled this without result.

The log enquiry had messages all about G which is GBP (I only have two GBP investments),

"Unable to calculate ROI yield for sub-portfolio "**Grouped**" for dates 12/30/2023 - 3/29/2024. (ROI yields not available for objects containing different currencies (G and $). Turn on "View / Exchange Rate Adjusted" to see yield with data adjusted to default currency.)""

Problem seems specifically around GBP. Any thoughts on how to further troubleshoot?

Thanks
portaferry

Postby Mark » Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:06 am

Hi Gary,

The issue is you have different currencies, so FM won't calculate a yield unless you display everything in a single/default currency by turning on "View / Exchange Rate Adjusted". If you turn this on, and then look at the yields, what do you see? If it still shows N/A for yields, what does the log say in the case where this option is on?

For more on this, please read this:

https://www.fundmanagersoftware.com/faq ... encies.php

Also, to make sure FM is exchanging between GBP and your default currency correctly, make sure you've set up an exchange rate investment, and assigned it under "Options / Currency Settings...". For more, please watch our tutorial on tracking investments in multiple currencies.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby portaferry » Fri Apr 05, 2024 7:03 pm

Hi Mark,

I have read/watched the material you suggested but have not been able to make any progress.

As mentioned previously the relevant log says cannot deal with dual currency's and seemingly GBP is the issue.

At the stock level this is fine and I can toggle between GBP and default currency and get relevant yields.

At the 3 sub portfolio levels the same applies.

However at the Master/Consolidated level it says in the grph log turn on exchange rate adjusted view - but its already on - and there are no yields displayed, jut NA
portaferry

Postby Mark » Sat Apr 06, 2024 12:14 pm

Hi portaferry,

When calculating yields, you can't mix currencies. So everything in a single yield calculation has to be of the same currency. Normally, you can do this by either having everything in the same currency, or turning on "View / Exchange Rate Adjusted". However, if an investment is assigned to be one of your exchange rate investments under "Options / Currency Settings..." or it has an investment type of "Exchange Rate", then the Exchange Rate Adjusted option will not convert that investment to the default currency. If such an investment is assigned to a non-default currency and you try to calculate a yield with it and some default currency investments, you'll get N/A.

It sounds like you have investments in 2 currencies (G and $). Is this your intent? Are you trying to track investments in multiple currencies? Which one is your default currency? If $ is your default currency, go and find all the investments in G and check to see if they are assigned an investment type of "Exchange Rate". Check also if they are assigned to be one of your exchange rate investments under "Currency Settings...". Typically, you want all Exchange Rate investments to be assigned to the default currency.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby portaferry » Tue Apr 09, 2024 4:27 pm

Hi Mark,

I have sorted this issue. It is always simple in hindsight and I should have been on to it sooner. To some extent my thinking went in the wrong direction when I saw everything apparently working okay at sub portfolio level but not at master level.

In the end the issue was obvious. I have a dozen of currencies in my portfolio level exchange rate settings. All were set to default currency $ but my GBP was set to G (not sure how that happened). Once that was bought into line with the others my master portfolio showed yields as expected.

Thanks for your patience. I have been using Fund Manager for over 25 years with minimal issues. It’s a fantastic bit of software.

Gary Wilson, Queensland Australia
portaferry

Return to Graphs