Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Preferred Stock Symbols

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby Rob191 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:17 am

I'm setting up Fund Manager and have run into a problem with a preferred stock. Transactions come from Schwab who recognizes FPC+A or FPC/PRA as valid symbols. It looks like none of the price servers used the same symbols. MSN and Google use FPC-A. Yahoo uses FPC-PA and there are no hits on Bloomberg.

I guess I can set the symbol to the one Schwab knows, then turn off the price updates and do them manually. But I'm wondering if there's a better solution. Any thoughts on resolving this problem where the transaction server and price servers use different symbols for the same preferred stock?

Thanks,
Bob
Rob191

Postby Mark » Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:29 am

Hi Bob,

You can just change the symbol to the one used by the quote server. This does not prevent transaction retrieves from working properly as transaction retrieves are done via matching up CUSIP, not symbol. Price retrieves are done via symbol.

If you have many investments like this and don't want to have to change the symbols all the time, you can also consider just updating prices via a transaction retrieve. Whenever you retrieve transactions your prices are also updated from the broker.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby paul3nt » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:12 pm

Bob:

It is vexing that Finra or NASDAQ or someone hasn't standardized the symbols for preferred stocks. Because FM seems to favor Yahoo Finance for price updates I would recommend you change the symbol to XXX-PA, for a Series A preferred from common stock symbol XXX ( e.g. for Citicorp's preferred series A use C-PA.)

A partial list of the different Preferred symbol conventions for e.g. WR Berkeley's preferred Series A is :

Yahoo Finance: WRB-PA
TD Ameritrade, Google Finance : WRB-A
NYSE, Big Charts, Fidelity: WRBPRA
Market Watch : WRB.PRA
E*Trade : WRB.PR.A
Schwab: WRB+A
Scottrade : WRB.A
Interactive Brokers: ? ( does anyone know this one ?)

Paul3NT
paul3nt

Postby Rob191 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:06 pm

Thanks Mark and Paul for your suggestions.

Just a comment from a new guy, Fund Manager seems to be a great product with a comprehensive and well written Help function and a fantastic message board. Thanks to all.

Bob
Rob191

Return to Prices and Transactions