Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Alert Addition

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby 4Profits » Thu Aug 01, 2024 8:07 am

Mark,
If you have the same stock in multiple portfolios and you have alerts set when you go to delete an alert FM prompts do you want do delete the alert on all instances. What would really be nice is if you add an alert FM would prompt you want to add to all instances. Just a thought for a new feature.
Thanks,
Jim
4Profits

Postby Mark » Fri Aug 02, 2024 11:21 am

Hi Jim,

The Pro/Advisor versions have a feature like this:

Add Alert To:
This option is available in the Professional/Advisor versions. Choose whether to add a single alert to the specified investment or whether to add this same "equivalent" alert to all investments in a selected sub-portfolio. When creating an equivalent alert for the "Fixed Price" types of alerts, Fund Manager adjusts the alert price for each investment to be the same percentage away from the current price as you've specified in this dialog for the displayed investment. When you add the equivalent alert to all investments in a sub-portfolio, only displayed and non-cash type investments will have an alert added. If you want to add the alert to hidden investments, turn on "View / Hidden Investments/Portfolios" before recording the alert, so hidden investments are displayed.
Deleting Portfolio Alerts: To easily delete all equivalent alerts previously added, use the Data Register. Under the Data Type of "Alerts" if you select any of the equivalent alerts and select "Delete" you will be prompted with the option to either delete just the selected alert, or all equivalent alerts within the sub-portfolio.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby 4Profits » Sun Aug 04, 2024 6:02 am

It is funny Mark - I have been using FM for at least 15 years and am still finding new features on the things I use most. Thanks for the great product.

Jim
4Profits

Postby 4Profits » Sun Aug 04, 2024 6:40 am

Mark this is a little too powerful, I consider this a global alert.
I use Trade Stops for my alert values. They have what is called a %VQ alert. So instead of having a 25% stop loss alert they calculate a %VQ alert based on volatility and other things. for example P&G may be 12% and NVDA may be 35%. I may have those stocks in multiple portfolios for example my portfolio tree looks something like this but much much more extensive.

All Portfolios (No investments here all held if following sub portfolios)
- FAMILY Portfolio - Sub Portfolio Master Family portfolio
- Trust 1 - Sub Sub Portfolio
- Kids Trust- Sub Sub Portfolio
- My Roth - Sub Sub Portfolio
- Wife Roth - Sub Sub Portfolio
- All Family investments Sub Sub Portfolio (I just open all investments from above
portfolios here also. this allows me to sort by investment so I can add the alerts on all
same investment contained in the sub portfolio
- Watch portfolio - Banks
- Watch Portfolio - AI
- Watch Portfolio - ETF's

If I want to add the same Stop Alert in all portfolios I want to do it by the investment for example only PG but in all my portfolios I would like to click on the All Portfolios and it would add the alert for only the investment I am working on in to the same investment symbol for all the sub portfolio not all investments. The way you do it now could be a global alert for all investments under options that could be and even added automatically when a new investment is entered. Say a automatic 25% or 20%.

This would save me hours of work as I update my stop alerts and informational alerts monthly as the %VQ changes.

Jim
4Profits

Postby Mark » Sun Aug 04, 2024 9:40 am

Hi Jim,

Okay, understood. Thanks for the feedback. We can see about improving this to be more flexible. Would adding an option to apply only to other investments of the same symbol accomplish what you need?
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby 4Profits » Mon Aug 05, 2024 12:52 pm

YES !!!
4Profits

Return to General