Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Changing broker companies

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby Perry » Tue Aug 06, 2024 8:04 am

I transferred stock from one brokerage to another. I did this in fund manager using the "Transfer between". My issue is when I do a report e.g. ROI on the portfolio or individual stock, it does not reflect my true return. It seems to be based on the transfer date and not on the original purchase dates. How do I get a true picture? Can the historical price data and transactions from the first broker be merged with new broker going forward?
Thanks
Perry

Postby Mark » Tue Aug 06, 2024 8:58 am

Hi Perry,

This will happen if you use the Transfer Between wizard. You're moving the shares as of a particular date. If you moved all the shares, and want to keep the history in a single investment, you can just move the whole investment from the old broker's sub-portfolio to the new one. You would only have 1 investment, that has the full history, instead of 2.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Perry » Tue Aug 06, 2024 7:15 pm

I did not realize I could do that.
Thanks
Perry

Postby jpa » Thu Sep 05, 2024 2:48 am

Mark wrote:Hi Perry,

This will happen if you use the Transfer Between wizard. You're moving the shares as of a particular date. If you moved all the shares, and want to keep the history in a single investment, you can just move the whole investment from the old broker's sub-portfolio to the new one. You would only have 1 investment, that has the full history, instead of 2.

@Mark,
If I just copy the "whole investment" as mentioned above, will future transactions import properly from the new broker? It still shows the "Account" for the security as being the prior brokerage account. Thanks!
jpa

Postby Mark » Thu Sep 05, 2024 8:31 am

Hi jpa,

As long as the investment is located in a sub-portfolio with your new broker's account number, and the investment has a CUSIP as reported by your broker, yes. When retrieving transactions, what matters is the account number of the sub-portfolio and the CUSIP of the investment in that sub-portfolio.

There is also an "Account Number" property at the investment level, but this is not used when retrieving transactions. You can go into the "Properties..." of the investment and erase it, or put it to the new account number just to clean things up though. It is on the "General" tab with the Name/Symbol/etc...
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to General