Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Portfolio Cost - Value graph, delta number or line

Questions on using, creating, or understanding data in Fund Manager graphs.

Postby bvzastrow » Sat May 11, 2024 2:32 am

Hi Mark,

I use the Portfolio Cost - Value graph all the time as a nice visual of portfolio growth over time. Is there a way to graph the calculated difference between portfolio cost and value over time? I can do the math for myself at the end of the graph by subtracting the "C" number from the "V" number in the upper-left of the graph, but can I graph that number over time? Perhaps as a line and second Y-axis on the same graph? Thanks.
bvzastrow

Postby Mark » Sat May 11, 2024 9:26 am

Hi bvzastrow,

Yes, this is the "Portfolio Gain Graph". It plots the difference between the value and the cost (your gain). You can't add this gain line to the Portfolio Cost - Value graph, but it is available as its own graph.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby bvzastrow » Mon May 13, 2024 2:22 am

Oops, sorry, Mark, don't know why I didn't see that before. Thanks!
bvzastrow

Postby bvzastrow » Mon May 13, 2024 2:42 am

Although, Mark, one follow up. On the Portfolio Cost - Value graph, the totals on the upper-left corner of "V" and "C" are totals from the beginning of time (since they are ending balances based on the end date of the graph), even if the date range I am looking at is a more narrower, more recent date range.

But on the Portfolio Gain graph, the only way to get the same (total) gain (beginning of portfolio to end of graph) is to have the graph dates go back to the beginning of the portfolio transactions. Is there a way to look at Portfolio Gain with a later begin date (still today for end date) such that the total gain is accurately displayed for the entire portfolio duration?
bvzastrow

Postby bvzastrow » Mon May 13, 2024 2:49 am

in other words, is there a way to not have the y-axis on Portfolio Gain to always start at zero, based on graph date range?
bvzastrow

Postby Mark » Mon May 13, 2024 10:20 am

Hi bvzastrow,

Sorry, no, this isn't an option. The gain displayed is since the starting date of the graph, so it always starts around 0.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby bvzastrow » Mon May 13, 2024 12:13 pm

OK, Mark, thanks for the reply.
bvzastrow

Return to Graphs