Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Some stock prices cannot be retrieved

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby sollner » Thu Aug 22, 2024 10:41 am

Hi Mark,
Sometimes, when a stock is newly bought and retrieved by Retrieve Transactions, its Internet Retrieve properties do not have the Retrieve Prices and/or Retrieve Prices when Retrieving Transactions options checked. I just discovered one subportfolio in which no stocks have the Retrieve Prices option checked, and two stocks in it did not even have Retrieve Prices when Retrieving Transactions checked, so these stocks have never received new prices. This has the result that, when I right click the subportfolio and select Retrieve Selected Prices, I get the following error message:
No investments were set to retrieve prices

So, I have a couple of questions:
-- Is there some way to be sure that both the Retrieve Prices and the Retrieve Prices when Retrieving Transactions options are always checked? I do a lot of transactions each month, and it would be extremely tedious to have to check this for each entry.
-- A related question: can I be sure this is the case of all the stocks I currently have without looking at the Properties/Internet Retrieve options for each one?

Thanks,
Gerry
sollner

Postby Mark » Thu Aug 22, 2024 1:37 pm

Hi Gerry,

The property "Retrieve Price" is set for new investments based off the investment type, and you can control this. By default, only "Cash" type investments don't have "Retrieve Price" turned on. To check your settings go to "Options / Internet Settings... / New Investment Defaults...". Here you can see your defaults for new investments, and also apply your options to existing investments if you so wish.

If you use the above to apply to all investments, you can be sure they will be set. If you'd like to look at a bunch of investment's properties without using the dialog, you can create a Custom report with the field "Retrieve Price".

Please let me know if you still have questions.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby sollner » Fri Aug 23, 2024 12:48 pm

Thanks, Mark. That solved most of my problem. However now, instead of the price retrieve reporting that it could not update a few bond CUSIPs, it now reports that it could not update over 150 items, mostly stocks. The ones of these items I have checked, I no longer own. So, two questions:

-- I recall an option to update investments I no longer own, which I think I checked a while back. If you could point me to that screen, I could uncheck that option, which might reduce the error rate.
-- On the other hand, sometimes I find it informative to update prices of stocks I no longer own. Any idea why those are not being updated, and how I could get them to update?

Thanks,
Gerry
sollner

Postby Mark » Fri Aug 23, 2024 12:54 pm

Hi Gerry,

Yes, as long as the symbol is still valid, it should retrieve. Here is a checklist of things to look at:

https://www.fundmanagersoftware.com/faq ... ailure.php

If you want to hide and/or turn off price retrieve for items you no longer own, see:

File / File Operations / Hide Sold Investments...

That command can turn off "Retrieve Price" for "sold" investments.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby sollner » Sat Aug 24, 2024 8:24 am

Thanks, Mark. All is well at the moment!
Gerry
sollner

Return to Prices and Transactions