Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

MARKETSTAK RETRIEVAL

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby robert1 » Wed Sep 11, 2024 5:03 pm

Mark,
I checked for updates and changed the internet options to Marketstak....Didnt work.

It appears there are monthly fees to use it for lager data downloads. IS that the only option to fix the SLOW downloads?
robert1

Postby Mark » Wed Sep 11, 2024 6:29 pm

Hi robert1,

Both marketstack and Stooq are currently working. Did you get/enter the required API code for marketstack? Stooq doesn't require this, so is easier to set up, but both are working. See:

https://www.fundmanagersoftware.com/intrtv.html

Keep in mind, these don't have fund prices, but if you want historical stock prices, they are good. If you need to use Yahoo, maybe you can use Yahoo instead of Yahoo (Historical)? Typically you only need to get historical prices at the start, or if you haven't used FM in a while to backfill prices.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby robert1 » Fri Sep 13, 2024 12:13 am

Any ideas of a faster way to retrieve mutual fund. ETFs & closed end historical quotes that will work as fast as Yahoo Adjusted Historical used to be?
robert1

Postby Mark » Fri Sep 13, 2024 10:22 am

Hi robert1,

See our list of supported quote servers. If you need a faster source for historical prices for funds, I'd suggest either FastTrack or Financial Times - Funds (1M Historical). FastTrack would be the fastest, but you may need to subscribe, depending on the number of quotes you need.

Another option would be to consider how you're using historical servers. You can use the regular daily server, like the plain Yahoo to get quotes daily, and only rely on historical servers once in a while when you miss some days or want to back populate prices for a new investment. The regular Yahoo server is still fast.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby robert1 » Sat Sep 14, 2024 3:38 am

Based on your reply, am I correct that neither FastTrack nor Financial Times will be a faster source for funds, ETFs & closed ends?
I plan to use the daily Yahoo retrieval as you suggested, but I was traveling for over a week and wasn't able to download daily while I was gone.

I noticed you have posted a new retrieval update. Will that address the historical update problem?
robert1

Postby Mark » Sat Sep 14, 2024 8:23 am

Hi robert1,

No, both Financial Times and FastTrack are much faster than Yahoo (Historical). FastTrack is the fastest of all, but may require a subscription.

The latest quote module will not make a difference to the speed of retrieval.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby bloveless » Mon Sep 16, 2024 9:23 am

Mark, I use Yahoo (adjusted historical) to gather data for my reports; I do this twice a month collecting 2 years of data. It would normally take about 30 minutes, but the one for 9/13/24 took 6 hours! Do you know the reason for the huge slowdown? Thank you.

Bill
Bill
bloveless

Postby Mark » Mon Sep 16, 2024 9:36 am

Hi Bill,

Yes, this is to be expected. There were some changes at Yahoo, and unfortunately it is now much slower to retrieve historical prices from Yahoo. Another option you have for adjusted historical pricing is FastTrack (Adjusted Historical). You can read about using this server here:

https://www.fundmanagersoftware.com/int ... #fasttrack
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby bloveless » Mon Sep 16, 2024 9:42 am

H Mark,

Thanks for the reply, I'll check out fast-track; sorry about putting the question under the wrong thread.

Bill
Bill
bloveless

Return to Prices and Transactions