Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Manual Update identical symbols

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby pakvestor » Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:02 am

Hi ...

I have some investments whose prices I have to update manally. The probelm is that I hae multiple files of these invesments with the same SYMBOL

for example, gold prices in Pakistan Rupees. Since I have gold invesments in different portfolios (as seperate files) but all have the same symbol. Is there a possibilty that if I manually update the price of one investment, the prices of all investments of he same symbol are updated
pakvestor

Postby Mark » Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:07 am

Hi pakvestor,

Currently, this isn't an option when manually updating prices. Making common edits to multiple investments with the same symbol is something we plan to improve in the next major update.

You can however make this easier by importing, rather than manually updating. When you import prices for a given symbol, all investments with that symbol will be updated. You can make yourself a simple text file, and use the generic import. For example, you could make a file that looks like this:

INTC,24.25
IBM,89.125

Udate the prices in that file, and then use "File / Import / Prices / Generic...". For the above example file, you would "Specify Date" and use the "Input Format" of:

SYMB,NAV

Press the "Help" button in this dialog for specific instructions.

This could save you time if you have a lot of investments with the same symbol.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby pakvestor » Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:12 am

Actually I thik I have found a workarond the probem but I am not too sure if there are any "Side effects" of the procedure

I update th prices on one investment and then I import the .dat file of that particular investment. that way all the investments of the same symbol are updated
pakvestor

Postby Mark » Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:01 am

Hi pakvestor,

Yes, this will work perfectly fine too. There shouldn't be any side effects of using this method.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to Prices and Transactions