Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Importing Bond Prices from Schwab

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby crawfordn » Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:50 am

Mark,
I've been importing prices from a daily Schwab download .pri file, which is fine for all but bonds. The prices in the download file do not correspond to the dollar price FM recognizes. (a $1.103 price is $110.30 iin the Schwab file). Is there a way to make these talk to each other, or should I continue to manually update them.. Thanks.
crawfordn

Postby Mark » Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:02 pm

Hi crawfordn,

How are you determining what the dollar price FM recognizes is? I assume you're looking to make the value correct, and a price in the range of $1 makes the value correct, where a price in the range of $100 makes the value 100X too high? It may be that your shares are getting imported 100X too high in the case of bonds? You may have just been working around the share quantity problem by manually updating prices. If you can send me a sample .TRN file with a bond purchase, I can take a closer look. It may be that we need to correct the transaction import for the case of bonds.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby crawfordn » Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:35 pm

Mark,
I don't think the initial share number is the problem. Both the Schwab system and FM are reading the same share number. A 50,000 Mass Muni for instance is 50,000 share both places. Schwab's price of 102.12125, by virtue of a built in formula for bonds, gives a value of $51,060.625. I think it's just a way to extend the number of decimals in the pricing. When I import prices, nothing is imported for the bonds, and clearly a price of 1.0212125 would be required by FM to get the same result. I could cut the number of shares at the buy level and use the Schwab prices, but statements might look funny, and I would still be adjusting the prices manually. I'll keep going the way I'm going now. It's not a big deal. They used to only price bonds monthly anyway in the olden days.
crawfordn

Return to Prices and Transactions