Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

The risk of losing investment manual sorting with Ctrl+S

Comments, critical feedback, praise, or suggestions for new features.

Postby Djobydjoba » Mon Jul 22, 2024 5:52 am

Hi Mark,

In my FM setup, my investments are sorted, manually, in a very precise manner in the global investment stack. This order allows me to make a global graphical review of the markets (weekly, typically) in this precise order that I wish.

My biggest fear is to lost this precise order of my investments that I created (well, backups exist, but it's not the topic...). That would be a LOT of work to recreate it.

This order is saved with the portfolio (Ctrl+S).

Of course quite often I sort temporarily the investments by something else (%Gain-F for example), for other purposes. But in this case I absolutely must not save the portfolio in this state before having done a "Revert order", otherwise all my manual sorting is lost.

This concern has led me to be ultra-careful with the Save Portfolio for years (on the verge of paranoia, lol). I just realized that maybe something could be done about it. I would like to use the Ctrl+S with a more carefree attitude...

If you have some ideas...
Djobydjoba

Postby Mark » Mon Jul 22, 2024 4:41 pm

Hi Djobydjoba,

I’m out of the office on vacation until August 2nd. I’ll try to give it some more thought and reply when I get back to the office. Sorry for the delay.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Sat Aug 03, 2024 8:40 am

Hi Djobydjoba,

As you say, this info is stored in your portfolio file (*.mm4). So, if necessary you could restore from a *.FMB backup. You can choose to only restore the portfolio file, so if you had made some data changes, you can choose to keep those, and only restore the portfolio file. You might just make sure you're creating frequent backups. See "Options / General Preferences... / Data" to control how often and how many backups to make/keep.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Djobydjoba » Sat Aug 03, 2024 9:43 am

Thanks for the answer. Probably not many people have set up a manual sorting like I have... I may even be the only one in the world! :lol:
Djobydjoba

Postby Djobydjoba » Sat Aug 03, 2024 12:04 pm

Hmm, I have an idea... Use a custom investment property to set a sequence number to each investment in the stack. And use the trick with a custom report to restore the order if needed.
It's worth a try... :) It may be easier to maintain in the long run than with the quite tedious steps with the Rearrange Investment Order dialog + Save the Portfolio, and a restore in case of loss.
Djobydjoba

Postby Mark » Sat Aug 03, 2024 12:48 pm

Seems like a good solution to this issue...
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Return to Feedback