Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Expected annual income

Comments, critical feedback, praise, or suggestions for new features.

Postby crawfordn » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:17 pm

Hi Mark,
I've noticed that the expected annual yield feature has a little trouble identifying and annualizing income (dividends and interest). It might make sense at some point to add a field in the security file (that is updateable for all holdings with the same symbol) for annual income per unit. This would allow reports with per holding annual income projections, with totals as well.
crawfordn

Postby Mark » Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:45 pm

Hi crawfordn,

Which 'expected annual yield' feature are you seeing problems with? Is this some field in a report?
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby crawfordn » Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:51 pm

I was playing with "expected dividend yield (ending)" in a custom report, and it seemed to pick up most distributions and annualize them. It also clearly doesn't reflect future dividends of a holding that was recently purchased and hasn't paid yet. What I'd like to be able to report is just a $ figure for projected annual income, both per share and per holding. Thanks, Rick
crawfordn

Postby Mark » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:14 am

Hi Rick,

Ah, yes (I forgot about that field...). Yes, that field won't work if you don't have any distributions recorded yet, or only 1 and the distributions aren't quarterly. I can see why you'd want a way to just specify this. FYI, here is the way that custom field is calculated:

Code: Select all
Annualized dividend yield expected to be earned in the future.  Calculation is based on the ending share price, the last received dividend amount, and frequency of prior dividends.  Possible frequencies are 1 year, semi-annually, quarterly, or monthly.  Defaults to quarterly if only a single dividend is recorded.  The value is a percentage.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to Feedback