Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Default date for a new transaction

Comments, critical feedback, praise, or suggestions for new features.

Postby Djobydjoba » Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:24 am

Hi Mark,

I enter my transactions manually, several in a row that can have different dates. Fund Manager remembers the date of the last transaction added and uses it as the default date for a new transaction. Sometimes I don't pay attention to the suggested date and validate a transaction with this date while it's not the good one. It's my fault, not the software one. So I generally correct it immediately (ie. I open the transaction and change the date and click OK). But then, I create a new transaction and I expect that FM uses, as the default date for this new transaction, the date I've just entered for correction in the previous transaction. But that's not the case, FM continues to suggest by default the first, incorrect date. So sometimes here too I make the mistake to validate again another transaction with the incorrect date...

The suggestion here is to update the "last used date" (the one that will be set by default for a new transaction) not only when a new transaction is created, but equally when a existing transaction is updated, i.e.. when the user opens the transaction dialog and click the OK button on it (and of course not when he clicks the Cancel button).
Djobydjoba

Postby Mark » Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:39 pm

Hi Djobydjoba,

Okay, thanks for the feedback. The idea was intentional on only updating the last used date for "new" transactions. The idea being if you're adding some new transactions, they may all be for similar dates, and when editing it is more likely going back and making some un-related correction. I can see wanting it the way you're describing too though.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Djobydjoba » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:32 pm

Thanks. I see too the reason for the current behavior.

To sump up the little issue with the current behavior: if the user enters the wrong date when entering a new transaction, he will fix the error by editing the transaction, but the wrong date will still be set as default on the next new transaction.

This is an idea I have: to handle this case specifically (a wrong date entered on a new transaction, then edited/corrected by the user), maybe the program could detect this situation. When a transaction is edited (i.e. when OK is pressed on a transaction dialog), if:
1) the date has been changed during the editing AND 2) the date that has been changed was precisely the last used date (i.e. the date set by default for a new transaction)
then we are in this situation of a mistake on the date by the user. Then the "last used date" becomes the date entered during the editing, so the wrong date will not be displayed for a next transaction created, but the date fixed by the user.

Maybe it's effort for not much... Not a big deal.
Djobydjoba

Return to Feedback