Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Historical portfolio allocation

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby chuck24 » Sat Sep 28, 2024 3:25 pm

Hi Mark,
I was wondering if there was a view to look at historical allocation? I am able to view the Portfolio value as a graph but was curious how I could look at the portfolio from that graph at a given point in the last 5 years.

Thank you,
Chuck
chuck24

Postby Mark » Sun Sep 29, 2024 12:10 pm

Hi Chuck,

Have you looked at the "Graphs / Stacked Value" graphs? With those, you can see the portfolio value over time, broken down by a variety of objects, such as investment type, asset type, etc...
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby chuck24 » Mon Sep 30, 2024 8:47 am

Thanks Mark! Yes, that gives me the current portfolio's investment value over a time period. I guess I was looking for investments that I held & its value on a specific date since I started using Fund Manager. I suppose it would be similar to downloading a statement for that time period since I have bought and sold investments over this time.

Thank you for the quick reply.
chuck24

Postby Mark » Mon Sep 30, 2024 9:07 am

Hi Chuck,

If you want to know any balances as of a particular date, you can always create a report for whatever date you're interested in, kind of a like a statement as of that date. For example, create a "Portfolio Value" report, and list by investment. When creating the report, you can make it for any date you want, and get the values as of that date.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby chuck24 » Mon Sep 30, 2024 1:51 pm

I may me missing something, when I did that I was able to view the historical values for any date but it was only for the current investments. So for example if I didn't own an ETF back in Dec'22 it comes up as 0 shares (which is fine) but doesn't list the shares that I owned back then and sold in 2023. I was hoping to see the portfolio from that date, and just fyi I did close out investments that I sold and had 0 shares. I am not sure if that matters in this case :?
Thanks!
chuck24

Postby Mark » Mon Sep 30, 2024 3:11 pm

Hi Chuck,

Yes, if you closed investments you sold, they won't show up in reports anymore. The recommended method is to "hide" investments after you've sold them, so they aren't removed from your history. There are several options related to showing/hiding investments in reports. See "Options / Report Preferences... / General / Investment Display". By default, FM will show investments that had a balance/activity, even if they're hidden. If you've closed them though, they won't show up. Closing removes the investment from FM. You might like to watch this tutorial on hiding investments.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby chuck24 » Tue Oct 01, 2024 7:32 am

Ah got it. Appreciate you pointing that out and the links. Thank you!
chuck24

Return to General