Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Yahoo (Historical)

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby Stefan » Sat Sep 28, 2024 1:42 pm

I use the latest FM with Quote Module 610. Yahoo Historical retrieval used to be very fast. But now, it goes only one quote at a time and takes a very long time for each quote. I would like, if possible, to know what changed and what could be done about it.
Thank you,
Stefan
Stefan

Postby Mark » Sat Sep 28, 2024 1:57 pm

Hi Stefan,

Yahoo recently changed (requiring a premium paid membership to download only pricing data), and for the historical Yahoo servers we had to make some changes to keep it working at all. It is now much slower, and it also appears to be intermittent, especially after making many requests. Some suggestions:

1) Find other solutions than using Yahoo (Historical), like update daily so you don't need to rely on getting historical prices. Yahoo is still very fast, but Yahoo (Historical) is not. You can automate with a command line the daily price retrieval.

2) Use other historical quote servers. See details/options here: https://www.fundmanagersoftware.com/intrtv.html
Stooq is very good, but may require you to change some symbols, and doesn't support mutual funds. If you need historical fund pricing, check out Financial Times - Funds (1M Historical).

3) If you need to use Yahoo (Historical), make smaller requests. Right mouse click on a selection and use "Retrieve Selected Historical Prices". Retrieve only a smaller number at a time. Turning off the options to retrieve splits/distributions will also help. If you do need to retrieve splits/distributions from Yahoo, make sure you're using 2024.18.5 or later, which is significantly faster than old versions when splits/distributions are involved.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Stefan » Sat Sep 28, 2024 3:30 pm

Hi Mark,

Thank you for your detailed and prompt reply. Unfortunately, the bottom line is that not much can be done.
I have a question/suggestion though: I use tiingo.com as an alternative data source for another program. It has a REST interface for historical and Websocket for real time data. It provides both stocks and mutual funds , adjusted and un-adjusted. Data is retrieved in JSON or CSV formats. You need to register and it provides an API token. They have both free plan and subscription based ($30/month).

My question: would it be possible to add tiingo.com to the FM set of servers as a solid alternative to yahoo?
Stefan

Postby Mark » Sun Sep 29, 2024 7:41 am

Hi Stefan,

Thanks for the suggestion. We have actually already added Tiingo (current, adjusted, and historical) to the next major release, but given the current situation, I think it would be a good idea to make it available now, in the current FM 2024. Let me see what we can do...
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Djobydjoba » Sun Sep 29, 2024 8:18 am

Hi,

Stooq is very good, but may require you to change some symbols, and doesn't support mutual funds.

It supports the US, UK, JP and HK ETFs though. It's it the "Stocks" section:

20240929-dim.17h14-01.png
20240929-dim.17h14-01.png (25.41 KiB) Viewed 141 times
Djobydjoba

Postby Mark » Sun Sep 29, 2024 8:37 am

Hi Djobydjoba,

Thanks for the information/help.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Stefan » Sun Sep 29, 2024 9:16 am

Hi Mark,

Tiingo!!! Excelent news. I am impressed. I used them for the last few years, a very reliable data provider.
I am very heppy with the news and greatly appreciate if you could make it available in the next release.
Stefan

Postby Mark » Sun Sep 29, 2024 12:04 pm

We've just released Fund Manager versions 2024.18.6 which include support for the following new quote servers:

Tiingo, Tiingo (Adjusted Historical), and Tiingo (Historical)

For details on these new quote servers, see:

https://www.fundmanagersoftware.com/intrtv.html#Tiingo
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Stefan » Sun Sep 29, 2024 1:35 pm

Hi Mark,

I installed 2024.18.6 and tested the Tiingo servers, current and historical. Tiingo (historical) is super fast, as good as the Yahoo (historical) of old, before it broke down to being unusably slow these days.
So, for now, if one uses Tiingo(historical) one can access all US stocks, ETFs and mutual funds, and it all works great and very fast.

Tiingo (curent) is good enough, but slower than Yahoo (current).

So, I think the best current combination is Yahoo for current prices and Tiingo(historical) for historical prices. If Yahoo (current) breaks again in the future, Tiingo(current) is a good replacement.

Great work, very much appreciated!
Thank you,
Stefan
Stefan

Postby Mark » Sun Sep 29, 2024 3:28 pm

Hi Stefan,

Thanks for the feedback and glad it is working well.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Klaus » Tue Oct 01, 2024 2:01 am

Hello,

updated to the newest Fundmgr version, no data from Yahoo alternate downloaded. Do I need to switch to Tiingo too? or is there another option to receive data?

KR & a nice day
Klaus
Klaus

Postby Mark » Tue Oct 01, 2024 9:06 am

Hi Klaus,

Yahoo (Alternate) seems to be working okay from here when I just tested it. Is there some reason you're using the "Alternate" instead of just plain Yahoo? Yahoo is much faster. If you're still having troubles, please email me the server and symbol combination that isn't working for you.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Return to Prices and Transactions