Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Disappearing sub-portfolio

Comments, critical feedback, praise, or suggestions for new features.

Postby Mike » Sun May 18, 2008 6:08 pm

Hi, Mark,

This is disconcerting. I was working tonight and went to look at a sub-portfolio only to find it had disappeared. Hopefully it is the only one. I went into the "Autobackup" folder and copied all the client's .dat files. That did not bring him back. I then copied the .mmf file which was larger than the current .mmf which made sense. However, that did not work either. So, at the moment I have a sub-porfolio that cannot be accessed although all the .dat files are present. How do I bring this back since copying the backup master portfolio file did not work.

As much as I like the program, this type of issue keeps me from abandoning my old tried and true program. Another is there is no way to check that downloaded portfolio files are correct. We do find missing and incorrect transactions with our older software. It has the capability that allows us to do that. With FM you are at the mercy of the broker. If transactions are missing or erroneous there is no way to know either. Not sure how that problem can be solved, but from an advisor's viewpoint it is unacceptable.

Anyway, your help solving the present problem would be appreciated.

Mike
Mike

Postby Mark » Sun May 18, 2008 6:31 pm

Hi Mike,

Sub-portfolios are stored in your .mm4 file. The one .mm4 file stores the definition of all your sub-portfolios, and which investment files each sub-portfolio contains. The investment files (*.dat) contain the transaction data for each investment.

I'm not sure how it disappeared, but if it is something you can reproduce, please let me know. To re-create it, use the Portfolio Editor, and create the sub-portfolio, and then open the investment files into that sub using "File / Open Investment(s)..." while that sub-portfolio is selected. You can pick multiple investment files at once with this command.

On the verification question... You can 'reconcile' your accounts, against the statement from your broker. See "Edit / Reconcile...". This feature compares your recorded share balance against the balance on your statement. I suspect I may not have answered your question here, and if so, please let me know more details on what you're looking for.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Mike » Mon May 19, 2008 1:37 pm

Hi,Mark,

I use the reconciliation feature after every download/import if TD Ameritrade portfolio files. The problem is since I download transactions there is no way to check that txns are correct or complete. That's why I said I do not think there is a solution here. In FundPro I download prices from TrackData which, of course, includes dividends. These are posted to portfolios owning the security. When I reconcile with TDA I can see if there are any discrepancies or omissions. They do happen, rarely to be sure, but they do happen. I can then call TDA to have the problem corrected.

Mike
Mike

Postby Mark » Mon May 19, 2008 7:45 pm

Hi Mike,

When you reconcile, you are reconciling against a "position" statement, that just states how many shares you own as of a particular date. This is different than the transaction files you're importing. If there are any errors in the transactions (missing, extra, wrong, etc...) then the position statement balance will not match Fund Manager's balance, and then you can go investigate further. Reconciling against the position statement should give you confidence that all your transactions are recorded properly.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to Feedback